Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Received a failure to file notice and hiring an accountant

to help file two years...
Received a failure to file notice and hiring an accountant to help file two years business returns. The letter says to respond within 10 days and that is almost up. What should we send to the IRS so that they won't assess estimated amounts due and file penalties before the accountant can finish the returns?

Can you include a quick letter outline? Thanks.
10/2/2012
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question. The best thing to do is call the 1-800 number on the notice, and speak to a representative there. Write their name and ID number down. They usually will grant you a 30 day extension in time to file.

Other than that, have your accountant act fast - you can always amend the return later, the key is to get the most accurate return filed as quickly as possible.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO XXXXX ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**

Dont speak english much. Can I have a letter?

A letter won't really help you much - you need to file the return. By the time a letter is processed by the IRS, the time will have lapsed.

You can have your accountant call the IRS on your behalf. They will give you a form to fill out to allow them to speak with the IRS directly.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a financial question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer