How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 6 mo extension to file personal. I am out of Country

Customer Question

I have a 6 mo extension to file personal. I am out of Country when extension expires is there a secondary extension
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Phillip B, EA replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using!

Unfortunately, no. The extended due date for individual tax return October 15 regardless of whether or not you're in the country or not. If you were out of the country on April 15th, you were allowed an additional two months to file your extension. Unfortunately, there isn't an extra extension for taxpayers who are out of the country to file after October 15.

If this answers your question, please reach my performance between okay and excellent so that I may be paid. If you need additional assistance or need clarification, please reply to my answer so that I may assist you further.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was looking at the IRS website and it stated there was extra time for those who live overseas as I do

Expert:  Phillip B, EA replied 5 years ago.
If you live actually overseas and meet the following circumstances, you may qualify for an extension to 12/15:

You should request an extension if all three of the following apply.
  1. You are a U.S. citizen or resident alien.

  2. You expect to meet either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test (same tests for foreign earned income exclusion) but not until after your tax return is due.

  3. Your tax home is in a foreign country (or countries) throughout your period of bona fide residence or physical presence, whichever applies.

See Pub 54 for more details:


To request this extension, you must send the Internal Revenue Service a letter explaining the reasons why you need the additional 2 months. Send the letter by the extended due date (October 15 for calendar year taxpayers) to the following address:


Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0045


Let me know if this provides what you need.

Expert:  Phillip B, EA replied 5 years ago.
Is there anything else that I can do for you?

Thanks for using JustAnswers, and allowing me to opportunity to serve you.

Before the question can be closed, you need to rate my service. Please click "OK Service" or better so that I am paid for assisting you. Please ask for further assistance if needed. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid but the Web site will still collect your payment.