Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I just heard back from the IRS on my 2010 taxes. The IRS says

Customer Question

I just heard back from the IRS on my 2010 taxes. The IRS say's we owe Self-Employment Tax for 2010 and Turbo Tax says that we don't. What do I need to do to get help with this? I have until Oct 24, 2012 to respond.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question. If you worked for yourself and had a profit, you owe self employment taxes even if Turbo Tax claims otherwise.

It could also be that the IRS is claiming that something you placed on line 21 "other income" was actually self-employment income. If that's the case, then you owe the tax.

Please let us know what type of income you had for 2010.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Basically any income on line 21 can be "Called" Self-Emplyment income depending on who doing the review. Our entry on line 21 is "Stipend". I am not pleased with the answer and I am diffently not pleased with Turbotax. I program computers and line 21 if any thing is entered on that line Turbotax should have flagged it as possibly having to pay Self-employment tax.

Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry, but you needed to be more indicative of your situation. Sometimes, individuals just put any 1099 income on line 21, and such income could be self employment tax.

The stipend is not self employment income -therefore you would write the IRS back, tell them you disagree and let them know what the income on line 21 was. This should resolve the matter, although it might take a few weeks as the IRS is slow