How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29654
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks LEV. I make very little money (less than $10k) as I

Customer Question

Thanks LEV. I make very little money (less than $10k) as I am a full-time student. I work as an independent contractor doing graphic design and administrative support for local businesses. Does that mean I have to pay on top of income taxes a self-employment tax as well?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Most likely - you do not owe any taxes. However - you need to consider your filing requirements that are same regardless where you live.
Please see IRS publication 501 -
For instance - if you are singe - in 2011 you are required to file your tax return when your taxable income is above $9500.
However - if are a dependent on your parent's return - you are required to file when your income from wages is above $5800.

Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.


Please also be aware of the agreement between the United States and Australia improves Social Security protection for people who spend part of their working life in both countries.

If your employment is covered by both U.S. Social Security and Australian SG, you and your employer would normally have to pay contributions to the U.S. program and your employer would also have to pay SG contributions for the same work. However, the agreement includes rules that eliminate double coverage so that contributions are paid to just one country.

Under U.S. law, self-employed workers are covered by U.S. Social Security if they are U.S. citizens or U.S. resident aliens. The agreement does not have any effect on the coverage of self-employed U.S. residents—they remain covered by U.S. Social Security. Since self-employment is not covered under Australia’s SG program, self-employed U.S. residents (including Australian citizens) do not need any documentation to show that they are exempt from SG contributions.

The agreement exempts self-employed U.S. citizens who reside in Australia from U.S. Social Security coverage. As a result, if you are a self-employed U.S. ­citizen and reside in Australia, you do not have to pay U.S. Social Security contributions on your self-employment income.

Let me know if you need any help.