How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chea Romine Your Own Question
Chea Romine
Chea Romine, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 197
Experience:  CPA, Managing Partner of medium sized CPA firm specializing in all areas of tax and accounting.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Chea Romine is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is a fla resident who owned a gas lease in Pa. He sold

Resolved Question:

My son is a fla resident who owned a gas lease in Pa. He sold the lease to a gas co and Pa. wants to charge him income tax on the sale. Can they do it? He has never been a pa resident. Thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Chea Romine replied 4 years ago.

Chea Romine :

Hi there, they actually can charge you tax on that income. The tax laws state that PA can charge tax on any person who earns income in the state whether they are a resident or not. The states look at it like you couldn't have earned that income unless you used our state to earn it, so they should be able to tax it. Sorry it is not what you were hoping for, but they are correct. You will file a non-resident PA return.


If you have any follow up questions please ask.

Chea Romine and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions