How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be moving to South Dakota at the end of the month and

This answer was rated:

I will be moving to South Dakota at the end of the month and staying with the same company as an hourly employee. Given that my company, Transperfect, does not do business in South Dakota, I have been told that I would need to keep my Washington address for tax purposes. I can easily do this, however, how do I go about filing taxes if I'm living in South Dakota but filing in Washington.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Since you will keep your Washington Address, you will pay tax to Washington State. South Dakota does not have personal income tax for individuals so no tax will be owed to South Dakota.

Don't worry about this (as it does not apply in this particular situation, but may if you move to another state besides South Dakota that DOES have state income tax), but if you moved to a state that does have income tax, you would owe tax to both states, but your home state would give you a credit for taxes paid to another state in order to reduce your overall tax burden.

You will file in Washington as a Non-Resident, and you will pay the same type of tax you have become accustomed to.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**
Megan C and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a financial question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer