How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55131
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

First time homebuyer and purchased a Townhome in E. Stroudsburg, PA paid $267,125. My tax

This answer was rated:

First time homebuyer and purchased a Townhome in E. Stroudsburg, PA paid $267,125. My tax bill shows $10,000 for land and $31,410 for building. I don't understand that. Also I paid a total of $10,378.68 this year in taxes! (2) municipal taxes and (2) School Taxes. (1 interim tax for school and (1 interm tax for municipal). Will I get some money back, I feel I paid way too much - we are both retired and now have to work to pay these taxes.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. If the tax collector doesn't resolve this for you, you need to formally appeal this tax bill. There is no way your property taxes would total 15% of the value of your house. There has clearly been an error. Then, for the applicable year in which you purchased the house, the property taxes would be prorated based on the portion of the year during which you owned the house and the portion of the year your seller owned the home. You would have recourse against the seller for the portion of the year for which the seller owned the property.

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
seems more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please remember that
there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because
I may be helping others or taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We went to court for tax assessment and were told we would be notified by Oct 31, 2012. If i paid too much taxes this year, will the tax collector send a refund or do I have to ask for it? Thank you very much for your help in this matter?

If you prevail on the tax assessment, the refund will come to you automatically. Your's been my pleasure. Take care!

Related Tax Questions