Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I just sold a 2nd home and need to know approximately what

percent of the revenue I...
I just sold a 2nd home and need to know approximately what percent of the revenue I should expect to have to pay when I file my taxes next year. My wife and I file jointly and earn about $105000 yearly. House sold for $50,000.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/4/2012
Richard, Tax Attorney

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. How much did you pay for the house and did you spend any money since the purchase on improvements..if so, how much? Thanks.

The house was the one I grew up in. I bought it from my Dad/Mom back in the mid 80's and they lived in it until they passed away earlier this year. I paid $42,000 for the house. Only improvements was a roof we had installed for $3500 but no receipt can be found. I had left it with Dad in case it was needed sometime for repair and wasn't able to locate it. I had a dishwasher installed a couple of months ago ($250). Nothing else.

Thanks. You pay tax on the gain...$50,000 (less closing costs) minus your basis, which is $42,000 plus the $3500 plus the $250. Thus, you have gain of $4250. Because you have owned it as long as you have, this is long term capital gain taxed at 15%. So, your tax is 15% times $4250.

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
seems more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please remember that
there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because
I may be helping others or taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney

Very happy and satisfied with the advice you have given me. Much appreciated.

You're welcome....my pleasure! Take care.
Richard, Tax Attorney