How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15610
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a small401k from merril lynch worth $ 5100.00 and i

This answer was rated:

i have a small401k from merril lynch worth $ 5100.00 and i want to cash it out and now i want to put half of it in an ira and use the other half to pay some bills. how much would i have to pay in taxes? i am 61 and receive disability.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,

You should have the institution where you will have or already have the IRA do a transfer on the portion you wish to place in the IRA. If you do that you will only pay tax on the half of the portion you keep. If you keep out half you will be taxed on just that portion and it will be added to your other income. How much you will pay in tax will depend on how much your total income is with the half of the 401K added.

If you have no other income than the half of the 401K you would pay no tax because the amount is much lower than your standard deduction and exemption amounts.

If you do receive the distribution directly make sure you put half in the IRA before 60 days are up or you will pay tax on the entire amount. But again if that is your only income you actually will owe no tax and if the 401K withholds the traditional 20% (as they m=normally do when issuing directly to the employee) you will file and get that all back. If you have other income the $5100 will be added to the income and taxed at your normal rate.

Robin D :


Robin D :

Let me know if you need clarification on all that above



Robin D. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you