How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3447
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A lein was placed on our property in 1997 because of past

Customer Question

A lein was placed on our property in 1997 because of past due tax. It still shows on our credit and our property. How can we get this removed.?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 4 years ago.
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

In order to get the lien released, you will need to request a Certificate Of Release Of Federal Tax Lien. If the past due tax was paid, you can request the certificate by doing the following;

If you have paid the tax you owed and have not received a copy of the Certificate of Release of Federal Tax Lien, you may call 1-800-913-6050, or you can write to them. If on the other hand, the past due taxes were not paid and the SOL has expired, see below:

Requests for certificates of release for any other reason should be mailed to IRS, Attn: Technical Services Advisory Group Manager. Use Publication 4235, Technical Services Advisory Group Addresses, to determine where to mail your request.

Link to Pub 4235:

In Pub 4235, use the address that relates to the state of Alabama

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.