Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A lein was placed on our property in 1997 because of past

Customer Question
A lein was placed on...
A lein was placed on our property in 1997 because of past due tax. It still shows on our credit and our property. How can we get this removed.?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
9/4/2012
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 5 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

In order to get the lien released, you will need to request a Certificate Of Release Of Federal Tax Lien. If the past due tax was paid, you can request the certificate by doing the following;

If you have paid the tax you owed and have not received a copy of the Certificate of Release of Federal Tax Lien, you may call 1-800-913-6050, or you can write to them. If on the other hand, the past due taxes were not paid and the SOL has expired, see below:

Requests for certificates of release for any other reason should be mailed to IRS, Attn: Technical Services Advisory Group Manager. Use Publication 4235, Technical Services Advisory Group Addresses, to determine where to mail your request.

Link to Pub 4235:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4235.pdf

In Pub 4235, use the address that relates to the state of Alabama

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant