Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My husband is working as a US contractor in Afghanistan.

Customer Question

My husband is working as a US contractor in Afghanistan. right now he needs to do a leg surgery and we are wondering whether this will be an exception to the 35 days condition to exclude atleast 90k of his salary from US income taxation. He already used up the 35 days allowed to stay in the US.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.
Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Unfortunately, both the bona fide residence test and the physical presence test contain minimum time requirements. However, the minimum time requirements can be waived if you must leave a foreign country because of war, civil unrest, or similar adverse conditions in that foreign country. You do not meet the physical presence test if illness, family problems, a vacation, or your employer's orders cause you to be present for less than the required amount of time.
I wish I could advise differently but there is no exception to the time requirement for illness.

Robin D :

Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving.

Robin D :

Did you have another question before you rate the response?

Robin D :

I will move this conversation to Regular Q&A as it appears you are not able to respond or rate. One moment please.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.
Here is a copy of everything up to now:
9:17 AM

9:18 AM

9:26 AM

9:28 AM