How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55604
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been living with my boyfriend for over a year, I am

This answer was rated:

I have been living with my boyfriend for over a year, I am attending college so I do not work and he pays for everything. Each month he transfers money into my checking account so that I can pay my bills. For the 2013 tax season will I have to claim the money he transfers into my account as income? Can he still claim me as a dependent?

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Does he transfer excess money into the account or simply enough to pay the bills? Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He transfers about 20 dollars more then what the bills are

Thanks. In that case, this is not income. Rather, it is simply a deposit to pay his bills. The money does not belong to you and does not increase your net worth at all. The extra 20 dollars could be considered income if paid to you to compensate you for these services. Otherwise, if you had to give it back, it would not be income. Or, you could treat is as a gift if it was not to be paid back and not designed to compensate you.

I hope this has given you information that has been
helpful to you. If the information seems more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please remember that
there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because
I may be helping others or taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you