Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

what is the total tax due on 69 K from 2009 including penalty

Customer Question
and interest charged to date...
what is the total tax due on 69 K from 2009 including penalty and interest charged to date
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
9/1/2012
Tax Professional: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 5 years ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

The total tax due and interest and penalties depends on a variety of factors. For example, are you single, married filing joint, married filing separate, or head of household?

In addition, is the $69,000 your taxable income, or is it the amount of income you made in a year? If the latter, you must realize that there are exemptions and deductions you can take that will lower your tax.

Penalties depend on what penalties are applied. It's impossible to know what penalties the IRS will impose. It depends on the reason for the tax assessment, the judgment of the IRS, etc.

We could possibly give you an estimate if $69,000 is your taxable income, and if you claim the standard deduction. We could also give you a rough estimate of interest; however you would need to add penalties and interest on the penalties once you know which penalties apply to your situation.

Luckily it shows you are in Texas. There are no state taxes in Texas so you won't owe any tax on your income. This is good!

Please clarify:

1) filing status
2) is $69,000 your total income or taxable income
3) what type of penalties you expect to be subject to

1. Married

2. 69,000 taxable income

3. for non payment of taxes

1. married jointly

2. 69000 taxable income

3. non payment of taxes for years 2010, 11 and 12 . the moneys was earned in 2009

4. not sure what you mean by what type of penalties , non payment of taxes

1) the tax due per the 2009 tax tables is $9,619

2) I used AcQuest calculator and came up with $3,559 in penalties

3) I used the same calculator and came up with 1,037 in interest

So the rough estimate is $14,215 in tax owed. Keep in mind, this may not be exact but it should be very close.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**

sorry total income is 69000

Well, then I'm afraid that I cannt calculate that - because I have no way of knowing what your taxable income is until I do your tax return, which we cannot do on this site. There are a variety of factors that come into play that could reduce your overall tax liability.

The figure I gave you is your "worst case" scenario, and your tax will be much less.

I am sorry, but it's too complex to figure up what your tax would be and to guess what your taxable income would be would be doing you a disservice.