Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have an S-Corp with a profit this year of $50,000 that is

on my-k1 line 1...
I have an S-Corp with a profit this year of $50,000 that is on my-k1 line 1. However, I still have a carryforward loss reported on my basis statement.

Do I report zero on my k-1 personal return for net income due to the fact that I still have a loss carryforward?
9/1/2012
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Yes, you are correct. Your basis increases with your net income distribution and you can deduct the loss to the extent that it does not exceed your basis. So, you can use the loss to the extent that you have income - so long as your basis does not go below zero. Then once again losses are suspended and you can deduct them once you have basis again.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a financial question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer