Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is the rent that is paid to the seller in a rent to own agreement

considered income and require taxes...
Is the rent that is paid to the seller in a rent to own agreement considered income and require taxes to be paid on it?
9/1/2012
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com!

Yes. Rental income from a rent-to-own agreement on the sale of a home is considered taxable income and must be reported on your tax return.

If this answers your question, please rate my performance between okay and excellent so that I may be paid. If you have additional questions or need further assistance, please reply to this answer so that I can help you further. Thanks for using JustAnswers.com.

how does this work if you still have a mortgage on the property? Can some of this income be deducted from your taxes?

Mortgage interest would be a deductible rental expense along with property tax, utilities, repairs and maintenance, and depreciation.
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent