How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Fidelity would like me to have them move the 401K company stock

This answer was rated:

Fidelity would like me to have them move the 401K company stock into a taxable Fidelity brokerage account ,where it will be sold. Could I have the stock transferred into a taxable joint savings account and sell the stock in this joint account?


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
As long as shares will be transferred outside of your 401k plan - they may be transferred into ANY account - including a joint account you have. There should not be any difference if that is a joint account with your spouse and if you are filing a joint tax return. Otherwise - there might be issues with gifting and reporting - but still shares may be transferred.


Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you