Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

When is the earliest I can file taxes?

What’s the earliest date I...
What’s the earliest date I can file for Taxes? I will be filing married joint returns and I want to be able to fill them priority, if possible. Does IRS have a starting date when they accept tax filing from everyone? Can I file in the first week of January 2013, if I know how much I made and I how much I paid in taxes?
8/10/2012
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer!
I assume that you are asking about your 2012 tax return which is due before Apr 15, 2013?
If that is correct - you may file your tax return as soon as the IRS releases all required forms. Generally, all basic forms are expected to be available by Jan, 1, 2013 - and you may file.
Another issue - if you prefer to file electronically - normally the IRS starts accepting tax returns around Jan 14 - you still might be able to file earlier - but your e-file provider will keep your tax return until the IRS opens the gate - and only after that - you will be able to have a confirmation that your tax return is received.
You may choose to mail your tax return - but in this case your tax return will be processed longer and if you expect a refund - it will be delayed.
Sometimes the Congress makes late changes in the tax law - that require corresponding changes in some tax forms - if that will happen this year - we may expect the delay with filing.
So - to address your question - yes - you may file your tax return by mail in the first week of January 2013 - but to expect faster refund - you better wait when the IRS starts accept e-file.
Let me know if you need any help.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor