How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am receiving a gift of $100,000 from a relative. Do I have

This answer was rated:

I am receiving a gift of $100,000 from a relative. Do I have to pay a tac or file a gift return for this?
Thanks for using JustAnswer!

You will not pay any tax or have to file a gift return on this gift. The giver will need to file a gift tax return.

If this answers your question, please rate my service between OK Service and Excellent Service so that I may be paid. If you do not rate my service I will not be paid. If you need additional service or clarification, please reply to this answer.
Phillip B, EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But the person is not a US Citizen.
That's okay. There is no US income tax for you, and no US gift tax for the giver because they are not under US jurisdiction.

If the gift was greater than 100,000 dollars you would need to report the transaction to the IRS on form 3520 part IV. Since the gift is 100,000 even, there is no report required on this form either.

Let me know if you need additional assistance.