Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A couple, who file a joint return, sell their home & exclude

the gain of 212,000 under...
A couple, who file a joint return, sell their home & exclude the gain of 212,000 under Section 121 exclusion. Can the unused portion of the exclusion of 288,000 be carried forward/
8/3/2012
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Thanks for using JustAnswer!

Unfortunately, no. Section 121 applies on a home sale by home sale basis. You can only get a 250k exclusion per taxpayer, per sale of home that has been used as a primary residence for two of the prior five years that the taxpayer owned the home.

If this answers your question, please rate my service between OK Service and Excellent Service so that I can be paid for my answer. If you do not rate my service, I will not be paid. If you need additional assistance or help, please reply to this answer.
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent