How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A couple, who file a joint return, sell their home & exclude

This answer was rated:

A couple, who file a joint return, sell their home & exclude the gain of 212,000 under Section 121 exclusion. Can the unused portion of the exclusion of 288,000 be carried forward/
Thanks for using JustAnswer!

Unfortunately, no. Section 121 applies on a home sale by home sale basis. You can only get a 250k exclusion per taxpayer, per sale of home that has been used as a primary residence for two of the prior five years that the taxpayer owned the home.

If this answers your question, please rate my service between OK Service and Excellent Service so that I can be paid for my answer. If you do not rate my service, I will not be paid. If you need additional assistance or help, please reply to this answer.
Phillip B, EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you