How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15309
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have not filed my taxes for three years, I went through a

This answer was rated:

I have not filed my taxes for three years, I went through a bad divorce and pretty much checked out of reality for a while. I know that's not a valid excuse but it is true. I need to take of things now. Could you advise me on which would be my best course of action,should I do it myself and just take whatever happend with the IRS or should I go to a professional and let them be my advocate. Thank You for your advise.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
You certainly do not want to wait much longer. If you are due a refund from tax year 2008, the IRS is not obligated to give it to you because of the time to file (3 years from due date of the return) to request a refund.

Should you do the returns yourself? If the information involves a W2 and nothing more then you probably would wnat to just complete the returns and mail them each in. You could still e-file the 2011 return (till October) but the 2010 and 2009 returns are not allowed to be e-filed when past the extension dates.

If you have more information that you are not familiar with then you may want to get a professional to complete them for you.

Do not be afraid, unless you know that you owe. So far, you only risk not getting a refund from 2008 but the 2009 - 2011 may see you getting money back.

If you do owe, the IRS will allow you to set up payment plans for any year that has a balance due.

My best wishes for you and do not delay further.

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you