How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a resident of California with a home that is being sold

This answer was rated:

I am a resident of California with a home that is being sold in NC. It is a personal and private home I have held for 2 years and therefore exempt from capitol gains taxes from the federal taxes up to $250,000.
Will this also apply to NC tax rules or will I owe taxes on any capitol gains and need to file a NC tax.
I know there is a sales tax that is collected at the time of sale.
Thanks for using JustAnswers!

Just to make sure you understand the capital gain rule under IRC section 121, you need to have actually lived in the home for two of the last five years (if the two years is not consecutive time, that is okay) that you owned the home in order to qualify for the 250,000 dollar capital gain exclusion.

NC does follow Federal section 121. If you qualify for the exclusion and have no other reason to file a NC return (are a NC part-year resident or have NC source taxable income) you should not need to file a NC income tax return.

If I have answered your question, please rate my service between OK Service and Excellent Service so that I can be paid for my answer. If you don't rate my service, I will not get paid. If you need more assistance or clarification, please respond to this answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is a second home. although I live, work and rent in California.I have traveled back and forth to the home.

I think that still qualifies for IRc 121. Doesn't it?

As long as the total combined time lived in the NC home over the last five years equals a full two years, the home does qualify for the exclusion under section 121.

If the time is less than two years, you may still qualify for a reduced exclusion if certain extenuating circumstances apply. See this IRS link for more about the reduced exclusion:

Let me know if you need additional assistance.
Phillip B, EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you