Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What tax form do I use to file when Ive not made any money

What tax form do I...
What tax form do I use to file when I've not made any money this year and last?
8/1/2012
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
You don't have to file

For single and under age 65 you have to make at least 9500
Single and 65 or older it's 10950

Head of Household it 12200 and 13650 respectively

Married filing jointly under 65 both spouses 19000
Married filing jointly 65 or older one spouse 20,150
Married filing jointly 65 or older both spouses 21300

Married Filing separately any age 3700

qualifying widow(er) with dependent child under 65 15300
qualifying widow(er) with dependent child 65 or older 16450

Those are 2011 numbers. Here's a link to the IRS publication 501:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar01.html/

You might want to consider going to one of the web sites that will let you do a federal filing for free, though, and see if you qualify for and credits or refunds though.

Hope this helps!

If I've answered your question satisfactorily, I'd appreciate your rating the answer a 3 or better (that's how we get paid), but if you have further questions, reply here

Thanks!

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
If you wish to file anyway, you will use one of the following forms.

1040EZ if:

1.) Your income is wages, unemployment compensation, interest, or Alaska Compensation Fund.
2.) Your interest income is under 1,500 dollars
3.) You (and your spouse if married) are under 65
4.) You are filing single or married filing joint
5.) You are not deducting any adjustment from income
6.) You are not claiming any dependents
7.) You can only claim the earned income credit.
8.) You don't itemized deductions

1040A if:

1.) You have income from wages, interest, dividends, capital gain distributions, IRA or pension distributions, unemployment compensation, or Social Security benefits
2.) Total income is less than 100,000 dollars
3.) You can claim any of the following adjustment deductions: penalty for early withdrawal of savings, IRA contributions, student loan interest, and jury duty pay given to your employer
4.) You are claiming one of the following tax credits: Child and dependent care credit, Credit for the elderly and disabled, Education credits, Retirement savings contributions credit, Child tax credit, and Earned income credit.
5.) You do not itemize deductions.
6.) No limits on age, claiming dependents, or filing status

If you cannot file using form 1040EZ or 1040A (if you are self-employed, itemize deductions, or which to claim a adjustment deduction or tax credit not listed) you will need to file using form.

I agree with the expert above, that a free file site would be the most efficient and time-effective way to file, if that is what you decide to do.
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS