How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask USTaxAdvising Your Own Question
USTaxAdvising, CPA
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1237
Experience:  US Taxation specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
USTaxAdvising is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved away from Idaho in 2005. I Spend the majority of my

This answer was rated:

I moved away from Idaho in 2005. I Spend the majority of my time living and working in Alaska now. I never officially established residency in Alaska by means of drivers license, home ownership, banking, etc. I maintain a mailing address at my fathers business in Idaho for I don't have a primary location elsewhere (remote working conditions). Am I still required to pay Idaho state tax? I really don't consider myself an Idaho resident any longer.

USTaxAdvising :


USTaxAdvising :

Idaho state tax commission considers you a resident if (1) you keep a home in Idaho for the entire tax year and spend more than 270 days of the year in Idaho or (2) are domiciled in Idaho for the entire tax year.

USTaxAdvising :

Domiciled means the place where you have your permanent home and where you intend to return whenever you are away. It is the place that is the center of your personal and business life.

USTaxAdvising :

See reference here -

USTaxAdvising :

If you have taken up domicile in Alaska (i.e. you live and work there) I can't see how you would be considered a resident of Idaho.

USTaxAdvising :

Am I still required to pay Idaho state tax? - If you are a resident of Idaho you are taxed on all your income including income from sources outside Idaho. I think that we have determined from the documents provided by the Idaho State tax commission that you would not be considered a resident as your principal place of business and personal residence is in Alaska.

USTaxAdvising :

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I can't see how you would be considered a resident of Idaho and subject to Idaho state taxes given the facts provided.

USTaxAdvising :

best regards,

USTaxAdvising, CPA
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1237
Experience: US Taxation specialist.
USTaxAdvising and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
The above information is helpful but the Idaho State Tax Commission is most probably looking to your address used on your Federal Tax return for those years and that is why they are requesting you pay tax in Idaho.

You asked how you can prove your true status to the state. You can be deemed a Special Case Idaho NonResident.

You are considered a nonresident if all of the following are true:

  • You are an Idaho resident who lived outside of Idaho for at least 445 days in a 15-month period.
  • After satisfying the 15-month period, you spent less than 60 days in Idaho during the year.
  • You did not have a personal residence in Idaho for yourself or your family during any part of the calendar year.
  • You did not claim Idaho as your federal tax home for deducting away-from-home expenses on your federal return.
  • You were not employed on the staff of a U.S. senator or
  • You did not hold an elective or appointive office of the U.S. government other than the armed forces or a career appointment in the U.S. Foreign Service.

You will need to address each of the bulleted items above in your response to the Idaho tax department. Your employer should be able to assist with the time requirements especially if you had to clock in or account for your time at work. The only real problem that could arise would be if you were advised to use a deduction on your federal tax return for the expenses (the 4th item bulleted above). If you did then Idaho will not recognize you as a nonresident.

If they do then you would not have to file unless you had Idaho source income of $2500 or more.