Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband received a NR4 for the "gross income" from his RRIF

and the non-resident tax withheld...
My husband received a NR4 for the "gross income" from his RRIF and the non-resident tax withheld. Will this tax be refundable to us from Canada or applied as US taxes paid on our 2011 return. Do we have to file a separate Canada return?
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/3/2012
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Sorry about all the confusion that you're going through. Unfortunately, if tax was withheld by Canada there's no way for that money to be applied to your American tax account. You'll need to file a return in Canada to get that money back.

If this helped, then rate my service as "excellent" so that I can be compensated for assisting you today. Otherwise, click "reply" or "continue conversation" for continued dialog with me.

VERY IMPORTANT - IF you are having DIFFICULTY RATING, please let me know IMMEDIATELY. If you don't rate my response, I don't get paid even though your deposit is retained by the site. Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.