Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Randall, I have a questions about HSAs: In 2011 I had

Randall, I have a questions about...
Randall,

I have a questions about HSA's:
In 2011 I had an HSA and used it to buy Over The Counter Prilosec.
Several years ago, I had a perscription for it and when it expired, the doctor said that it is cheaper to get prilosec OTC. So, I've been doing that, as needed, and therefore have not sought another prescription.
Is it still OK to use my HSA for this particular OTC purchase (several years after the prescription was made)?

John.....
7/3/2012
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent

Randalltax :

HSA money cannot be used for over-the-counter medications. Prilosec OTC would fall into the same category as aspirin. It does not matter if it used to be prescription med or not.

R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent