ezcpa
ezcpa, CPA
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
65058742

I have an LLC with only myself as a member. I have an EIN #.

Customer Question

I have an LLC with only myself as a member. I have an EIN #. I recently added a new member making it a two member LLC. Question do I need to apply for a new EIN # XXXXX [email protected]
Category: Tax
Expert:  ezcpa replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for your question.

No, you do not need to apply for a new EIN.

However, you may need to change the type of tax return you file. Single member LLCs often choose to be a disregarded entity - meaning they file their annual activity on their form 1040. Now that you have 2 members, you will need to use form 1065 (partnership) or form 1120S (S-Corporation).

Check your records and see if you filed form 8832, which tells the IRS what tax form you are going to use for your LLC. Here is a link to the form so you can see what it looks like. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f8832--2012.pdf

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you need additional information. I appreciate feedback. Thank You!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do I need to change the ID#
Expert:  ezcpa replied 5 years ago.

No you do NOT need to change the ID#

Expert:  ezcpa replied 5 years ago.

Paul, is there anything else I can help you with?

I am sorry you rated my answer as "bad". I believe I answered your question as directly as I could and tried to provide you with additional value. I would like to improve your experience if I can. The website keeps your money either way, but I don't get credit for my work unless I receive OK service or better. So please let me know if there is anything I can do to change your rating. Thank you.