Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I entered a "Transfer Between Companies" account in the equity

Customer Question
section of a couple of...
I entered a "Transfer Between Companies" account in the equity section of a couple of my companies but the system has deemed this account the place to send year-end closing
figures. Now that the year-end closing figure is there, I cannot close the account nor can
I find a place where I can designate which account to send the closing entries (Owners
Capital/Equity). Can you suggest a solution?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/2/2012
Tax Professional: ezcpa, CPA replied 5 years ago
ezcpa
ezcpa, CPA

Hello. Thank you for your question.

It may be easier to change your Transfer Account, since it is true the system won't let you change opening balances/year end closing accounts.

Generally, a transfer between related companies is a note receivable on one company and a note payable on the other. Try changing the account type of the transfer account to other account type/other current asset or other current liability. (If you use accounts receivable or accounts payable, you will have to enter a customer/vendor name with every transaction). You may need to create a new account for these transactions.

The equity account (usually called retained earnings) used for year end closing should not have anything in it except the automatic year end entry that rolls into the opening balance of the new year.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you need additional information. I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

ezcpa
ezcpa, CPA

Liz, Did I answer your question?

I only get credit if you rate my answer OK service or better. The website gets paid either way. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with or rate my answer so I may receive credit for my work. Thank you.

ezcpa
ezcpa
ezcpa, CPA