Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can a cohabitating couple in NY transfer a car title to the

other partner without paying sales...
Can a cohabitating couple in NY transfer a car title to the other partner without paying sales tax?
7/2/2012
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

PDtax :

Hi from Just Answer. DTF-803 is the form used to record the sales tax for such a transfer.

PDtax :

sorry, it's DTF-802. And yes, you can transfer to a non-family member without sales tax, if it's done as a gift. The form (http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/dtf802.pdf) does not make specific mention of a domestic partner, but as long as it's transferred for no consideration, the form allows such a transfer to be made without a sales tax to pay.

PDtax :

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Please provide ok or better feedback so I can be credited with helping you.

PDtax
PDtax
PDtax