How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Full time student with both earned and unearned income but

Customer Question

Full time student with both earned and unearned income but total less than 9500. Student being claimed as dependent by parent with unearned income reported under form 8814 by parent. Does student still need to file tax return for own earned income as well as unearned income?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 5 years ago.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Did you have federal and/or state income tax withheld? Not FICA, which isn't refundable; federal and/or state income tax.

Stephen E. Grizey :

If you are being claimed as a dependent by your parents, you may need to file as you won't be able to claim your personal exemption.