Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I am a treasurer for a PTO. Last year our 990-n was rejected

I am a treasurer for a PTO. Last year our 990-n was rejected because the form 1023 was not found under our EIN and organization.

Anyhow, I just filed for the tax year 2011 but under the log it still says rejected under the 2010 tax year. Does anyone know how to resubmit that 990-n for that year?

Thanks for your help
J

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Stephen E. Grizey :

What was the resolution of the 1023 problem? Did you respond with a copy of the 1023 you filed as well as a copy of your exempt organization status notification?

Stephen E. Grizey :

PTO being a parent-teacher organization?

Customer:

our from 1023 was accepted on jan 8 2012

Customer:

yes PTO being Parent teacher organization

Customer:

the letter indicated we were determined a 501(c) (3)

Stephen E. Grizey :

Well, I would simply refile the 990-N for 2010, along with a copy of your tax exemption letter & a copy of whatever notice you received in regards XXXXX XXXXX 2010 990-N. Just write "DUPLICATE FILING" on the top of a paper copy of the 990-N.

Customer:

so I can't do that online like I did this morning?

Stephen E. Grizey :

No, not in this case.

Customer:

Oh ok. would I mail it to the address in cincinanti, OH?

Stephen E. Grizey :

Yes if that's what is on the notice you received when the original 990-N was rejected.

Customer:

OK great I will do that.. another question, we are switching treasurer's this next school year. how do we change my name to the new treasurer?

Stephen E. Grizey :

That's a state issue. Depending upon which state you are in you'll need to file notice of the change with your Secretary of State. As far as the IRS is concerned as long as the name of the organization & it's address remains the same, the new treasurer will just sign any documents that need to be filed with the IRS and/or list the new officers & directors wherever required.

Stephen E. Grizey :

You should just call the SoS office in your state & ask for the form you need or visit the office online; it is probably available there.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Please remember to rate my responses when we are done in order that I can get credit for my work. If you have any additional questions now, I'll be please to answer them.

Customer:

we are in NH. I will go and visit that site.. Thanks so very much for your help!! big learning curve with non profit orgizations.

Stephen E. Grizey :

right, especially for the treasurer

Customer:

I just want to make sure the years I was doing this position I pass it over in good standings! :)

Stephen E. Grizey :

just when you get it figured out, there's a new sherrif in town

Stephen E. Grizey :

thanks for using JustAnswer

Customer:

thanks!! :)