How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4623
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a Form 8308 along with a Schedule K1 from my partnership.

This answer was rated:

I received a Form 8308 along with a Schedule K1 from my partnership. During the year, I terminated my employment and received a cash distribution equal to final basis in the partnership. Do I need to treat the distribution as income?

PDtax :

Hi from Just Answer. The final distribution was a buyout of your partnership interest, reported on the 8308.

PDtax :

The payout should be reported as a capital transaction, with your sale proceeds compared to your basis, and the difference reported as gain or loss.

PDtax :

Since you were paid the amount of your final basis, it sounds like you report the transaction as a sale with no gain or loss.

PDtax :

If you need additional information, please ask. Thanks from Just Answer.


Thanks for the reply. Would the capital transaction go on Schedule D like any other asset sale?

PDtax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you