Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How do i find out if someone has a federal tax lien?

6/22/2012
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

A lien attaches to all of a person's assets (such as property, securities, vehicles). In my opinion, the easiest way to find out if a person has a federal tax lien is to check property records if the person owns property. You can go to the County Recorder's office and look up the property, and if there is a lien against it, it normally shows up here. If the person has a business, a federal tax lien usually attaches to it as well. Liens are also reported on a person's credit report.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
the person lives in another state and we don't know all of his property. i thought since this is public record i would be able to access something on-line . i'm still unsure what you are suggesting as the quickest/easiest route. do i need to get his credit report? how would i do that?
Hello again,

Unless you're authorized to pull the credit report, you're not going to be able to get it that way. What state is the property in? You can try the UCC lien search database for that particular state to see if you can obtain the information that way.
Charlotte, NC
The UCC lien search in NC appears to be for corporations and partnerships only. I am checking to see if there is a way that you can find out online if an individual has a federal tax lien filed against them. I will get back with your shortly. Thank you for your patience.
Hello again,

Thank you for your patience. I took the liberty of calling the North Carolina Secretary of State office. Even though their site indicates that the search is only for corporations or partnerships, going a step further, you can do a search for an individual as well. You can do that at the following webpage:

http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/taxliens/filingsearch.aspx

Make sure that you have clicked non standard. Also I was told that the County recorders office where the person lives should have that information as well.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant