How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does an S-Corp get a 1099?

This answer was rated:

Do I need to issue a 1099 misc to an S-Corp? Does a pass-through entity like an S-Corp constitute a "corporation"?

Welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

An S Corporation is a corporation. It is bundled with a tax election providing certain tax benefits to its owners. However, like any corporation, there is no requirement to issue a 1099-MISC to an S Corporation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have heard that (unless some pending law is resealed) beginning in 2012, all payments to any corporations will require a 1099. Is this true?

At this point there is no provision requiring the reporting to most corporations. However, there are several specific exceptions to this. They are referenced in the instructions for form 1099-MISC at the following link:

The pertinent portion begins on page 2. Please also remember that rules do change so I recommend that you check the 2012 instructions which will be issued later this year. They will be available at

CGCPA and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you