Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

We received a notification form IRS that on our 2010 return

We received a notification form IRS that on our 2010 return we took a $6,000 deduction for IRA contribution that was not allowed. When I use the work sheet, although I do not qualify my wife did. Is it a both or neither or am I missing another rule?
Thank you.
Nick Gangemi
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 5 years ago.
No - even if you don't qualify your wife can qualify. However, the deduction is limited to what she contributed. She can't count anything you contributed to your IRA, only what she contributed. So, if she really didn't contribute anything to her IRA but you contributed to your IRA you can't use your contribution for a deduction under her.

The contribution is limited to $5,000 although that total is $6,000 if you are over 50.

You can have a CPA draft you a letter to the IRS explaining this and have your deduction upheld. That is, if you were entitled to it.