How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29975
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Parents lived with more than six months and dont have ss#,

This answer was rated:

Parents lived with more than six months and don't have ss#, (they have tax Id's) now for tax purpose their status is like resident aliens..?
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
You would determine their residency status for tax purposes (please do not confuse with residency requirements for immigration purposes)

See IRS publication 519 - chart on page 5 -

Please be aware that residency status is determined separaetly for each tax year.

According to Substantial Presence Test - the person will be considered a US resident for tax purposes if he/she meets the substantial presence test for calendar year 2011. To meet this test, the alien must be physically present in the United States on at least:

1. 31 days during 2011, and

2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes 2011, 2010, and 2009, counting:

-- All the days you were present in 2011, and

-- 1/3 of the days you were present in 2010, and

-- 1/6 of the days you were present in 2009.


Considering your information - your parents are resident aliens for tax purposes - and you might be able to claim them as dependents.
To claim parents as dependents - they do not have to live with you but there are some other requirements.
Let me know if you need any help.
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you