How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DanielleCPA Your Own Question
DanielleCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 793
Experience:  Years of Experience in Business & Personal Taxes
Type Your Tax Question Here...
DanielleCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my wife and i are retired,and live in costa over 6 months out

Customer Question

my wife and i are retired,and live in costa over 6 months out of the year. do we still need to file federal and ohio state taxes
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 5 years ago.

DanielleCPA :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer! I'm happy to help with your tax questions. Feel free to interject at any time if you need clarification.

Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 5 years ago.
As U.S. citizens, we are taxed on our worldwide income, regardless of where we are living - with limited exceptions that would apply to foreign wage-earners only. You're living in Costa Rica for six months of the year is a non-issue when it comes to filing a federal tax return. For Ohio purposes, if Ohio is your primary residence and Costa Rica is a second home, then you would still need to file an Ohio tax return.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
costa rica is our prime residence. we both have residence papers in costa rica. will that make a difference
Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 5 years ago.
If Costa Rica is your primary residence - then you would not need to file an Ohio tax return, assuming you have no income derived from Ohio. You would, however, still need to file a U.S. federal income tax return since you are a citizen and taxed on your income regardless of your residence.