Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

when you purchase from duty free i guess yo can do it once

every 30 days. but if...
when you purchase from duty free i guess yo can do it once every 30 days. but if you buy cigarettes online it just says "
Even cigarettes purchased at duty-free shops or through online cigarette vendors are subject to state taxes. Laws vary by state, but many states require consumers to report cigarette purchases on tax forms

so that would just be the state. whaat is the exact amount per pack of cigarette in NY tax? Not NYC (its higher) but upstate NY?

and also am i comprehending this corectly?
6/2/2012
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
New York State imposes an excise tax on cigarettes at the rate of $4.35 per package of twenty cigarettes. As you mentioned additional tax in NYC - New York City imposes a local excise tax at the rate of $1.50 per package of twenty cigarettes, bringing the combined tax rate in New York City to $5.85.
A tax stamp affixed to the bottom of each pack of cigarettes sold in the State provides evidence that the taxes were paid.

LEV :

The tax should be paid by the vendor/distributor and passed along to the consumer in the cost of each pack of cigarettes. However, if the vendor/distributor hasn't paid the Cigarette Tax, the customer must do so.

Federal law specifically requires all vendors who sell cigarettes over the Internet and by mail order to register with the state tax administrator in any state that has a cigarette tax before they advertise or make any shipments to that state. Vendors who fail to comply may face criminal and/or civil liability for mail and/or wire fraud and for violation of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act.
See for reference - http://www.tax.ny.gov/bus/cig/cigidx.htm
http://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/cig_tob_cur_forms.htm

can you legally order onlinefrom indians reservati9ons or do you have 2 go there?
The Indian tax exemption coupon system provides Indian nations and tribes within New York State with Indian tax exemption coupons to be used for the purchase of tax-free cigarettes for the use or consumption of the Indian nation or tribe and its enrolled members.

If you are an Indian nation or a member of a tribe - you may use that exemption- otherwise - you are subject of an excise tax on cigarettes.
If you purchase online - you will likely get a notice with demand - and must go here - http://www.tax.ny.gov/e-services/acvw/rtdn.htm
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor