Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I own a rental property with a basis of 50,000. I have a chance

Customer Question
I own a rental property...
I own a rental property with a basis of 50,000. I have a chance to sell it for 270,000. There is an apartment house I want to buy for 360,000. I want to defer the profit from the rental sale. Can I do a 1031 exchange. If so, how do I do it? I plan to continue investing in real estate in the future. Please cite Reg.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
6/1/2012
Tax Professional: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 5 years ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
When you make the sale, you will need to have a qualified intermediary to hold the funds for you. You cannot hold the funds, and you can't use your CPA or attorney to hold the funds for you either (Regulations under IRC Section 1031 disqualify any attorney, broker, accountant or real estate agent who provides routine service to the taxpayer from holding exchange funds).

You will fill out form 8824 for the like-kind exchange.

The regulation IS Section 1031.

Do NOT file your tax return until the exchange is complete.

Here's a link to some do's and don'ts

http://www.1031exchangemadesimple.com/dos-donts.html

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/industries/article/0,,id=98491,00.html

I guess your agreeing with me that I can defer my capital gain on the rental until I sell the apartment. What would be the basis in the new property? Thanks

We don't give tax advice or issue opinions. We only give general information. If you are trading one similar property for another piece of similar property, that's a like kind exchange. You would have to get a CPA to issue you an opinion after looking at all the details of the transaction.

Your basis would be calculated using this worksheet: http://www.1031exchangetax.com/worksheet.htm