Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how new INC formed by a foreigner apply for an EIN number?

Customer Question
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
6/1/2012
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
The procedure of applying an EIN number is the same.
An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity. Generally, businesses need an EIN. You may apply for an EIN in various ways, and now you may apply online - http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html
This is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service.

Apply By EIN Toll-Free Telephone Service.
Taxpayers can obtain an EIN immediately by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at _(800)_829_4933_. The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. An assistor takes the information, assigns the EIN, and provides the number to an authorized individual over the telephone. Note: International applicants must call _(267)_941_1099_ (Not a toll-free number).

Apply By FAX
Taxpayers can FAX the completed Form SS4 application, after ensuring that the Form SS4 contains all of the required information. If it is determined that the entity needs a new EIN, one will be assigned using the appropriate procedures for the entity type. If the taxpayer's fax number is provided, a fax will be sent back with the EIN within four (4) business days.

Apply By Mail
The processing time frame for an EIN application received by mail is four weeks. Ensure that the Form SS4 contains all of the required information.

Here is SS4 form - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf

<table border="1" cellpadding="5" summary="A table of addresses for mailing or faxing Form SS-4">id="tbl330id0_0" align="top" valign="top" scope="col">If your principal business, office or agency, or legal residence in the case of an individual, is located in:Mail or Fax Form SS4 to:One of the 50 states or the District of ColumbiaInternal Revenue Service
Attn: EIN Operation
Cincinnati, OH 45999
Fax-TIN: (859)_669_5760_If you have no legal residence, principal place of business, or principal office or agency in any state:

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: EIN International Operation
Philadelphia, PA 19255

Fax-TIN: (267)_941_1040_

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor