Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I filed normal taxes back in 2010 and waited for a refund.

Customer Question
Instead I got a letter...
I filed normal taxes back in 2010 and waited for a refund. Instead I got a letter saying that they found a problem with my 2008 filing and asked for certain info. I contacted my tax acct and gathered and sent them all that they asked for. I then recieved a check for 150.00 not the $3126.00 of the refund. Me and my acct had many conversations back and forth. Finally some IRS people came to my accts office and supposedly got it all straightened out. They admitted their error. My acct informed me I should be getting a check with interest. Thats the last I heard.Nothing since then. Not even a letter explaining what was happening. I don't know what to do and would like to get it resolved. I hope you can help.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
6/1/2012
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 5 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Hi

Since your accountant has been handling this for you, it would be ideal if he/she could continue. However, I understand that many accountant are not available during the off season. If that is the case with yours, then your best option is to call the number on the top of any of the letters that you received from the IRS regarding this matters, telling them that you were told by the IRS representative that you should be receiving a check for the difference and you wondered how much longer it would be before you receive it.

These checks can take a very long time to come. It is not unheard of for them to take up to 6 months. Even after 25 years in this business, I've never gotten a good answer from the IRS as to why it sometimes takes that long.

I hope this helps
you did not off.er what I thought.Also I did not realize it was a cost involved. Sorry
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Several issues...

First of all - Just Answer is paid service.

Posts are for general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional advice (medical, legal, veterinary, financial, etc.), and do not establish a professional-client relationship.

However

-- Expert answers from a live person, who cares about you and follows up with you - not a search engine.

-- Answers every day, at all hours - when you need them most.

-- Affordable pricing - you pick the price you want to pay.

And finally - If you're not happy, we will give your money back.

In relation to your original question.

There is no other way - but to get your information from the IRS.

The IRS doesn't provide online access to your tax information.

That may be done by

-- calling the IRS help line 1_800_829_1040_ ,

-- visiting a local IRS office, or

-- ordering the tax account transcript for 2008.

If you are looking for tax information for previous years - you may order transcripts from the IRS.

You need to use the form www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf to obtain your tax account transcript.

On the form - check the box 8 for information about W2, 1099, 1098 forms.

Also - check the box 6(b) for adjustment made by the IRS.

You have three easy and convenient options for getting copies of your federal tax return information -- tax account transcripts--by phone, by mail, or online.

Our new online ordering method, Order A Transcript - http://../individuals/article/0,,id=232168,00.html , is available and makes ordering simple.

You may also request transcripts by calling _1_800_908_9946_, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return).

There is no fee for transcripts. Allow five to ten days for delivery if you order online or by phone.

If you need to resolve a tax problem, have questions about how the tax law applies to your individual tax return, or you're more comfortable talking with someone face-to-face, visit your local Taxpayer Assistance Center where you can spread out your records and talk with an IRS representative across the counter. No appointment is necessary - just walk in.

Here are locations in Pennsylvania - http://www.irs.gov/localcontacts/article/0,,id=98326,00.html

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor