How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Charles Markham Your Own Question
Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 769
Experience:  IRS Enrolled Agent, US Tax Court Practitioner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Charles Markham is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a condo in Fort Lauderdale , it is used seasonally with

Resolved Question:

I own a condo in Fort Lauderdale , it is used seasonally with no rentals. Do I need a tax I.D.# XXXXX I sell this property to trade up to a larger condo? The 2011 assessed value of the property is 142,720.00.As a Canadian can I obtain a U.S. social security number for Identification purposes only?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 5 years ago.

TaxWhisperer :

As a non US citizen, owning real estate, you do need to report the sale of real estate. You can obtain an "ITIN" (Internaional Taxpayer Identification Number) for these purposes. The easiest way to do this is by using an "ITIN Acceptance Agent" (They have them in Canada). There is a list of them on the IRS website.

Charles Markham and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
many thanks