Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I own a condo in Fort Lauderdale , it is used seasonally with

Customer Question
no rentals. Do I need...
I own a condo in Fort Lauderdale , it is used seasonally with no rentals. Do I need a tax I.D.# XXXXX I sell this property to trade up to a larger condo? The 2011 assessed value of the property is 142,720.00.As a Canadian can I obtain a U.S. social security number for Identification purposes only?

Steve,Montreal
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2012
Tax Professional: Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP replied 5 years ago
Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP

TaxWhisperer :

As a non US citizen, owning real estate, you do need to report the sale of real estate. You can obtain an "ITIN" (Internaional Taxpayer Identification Number) for these purposes. The easiest way to do this is by using an "ITIN Acceptance Agent" (They have them in Canada). There is a list of them on the IRS website.

Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP
many thanks
Charles Markham
Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP