Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A person resides in the US on a H1 Visa. Can he deduct interest

Customer Question
and property taxes paid on...
A person resides in the US on a H1 Visa. Can he deduct interest and property taxes paid on Real Estate?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2012
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 5 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer
If you are a resident alien and file form 1040 you are allowed the same deductions as a citizen of the US.
These deductions include certain medical and dental expenses, state and local income taxes, real estate taxes, interest you paid on a home mortgage, charitable contributions, casualty and theft losses, and miscellaneous deductions.
If you are not a resident alien and file form 1040NR, you can deduct certain itemized deductions if you receive income effectively connected with your U.S. trade or business. These deductions include state and local income taxes, charitable contributions to U.S. organizations, casualty and theft losses, and miscellaneous deductions. Use Schedule A of Form 1040NR to claim itemized deductions. No mortgage interest.

Robin D :

Hi

Robin D :

You can see that it is important to deytermine your residency first

Customer:

Thank you for your quick answer!

Robin D :

You are welcome

Customer:

Yes

Robin D :

You can always come back even after you click ACCEPT

Customer:

Ok. Have a great day!

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4