Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I HAD MY REFUND SENT DIRECT DEPOSIT I GAVE MY ACCOUNT NUMBER

Customer Question
AND ROUTING NUMBER BUT ALSO...
I HAD MY REFUND SENT DIRECT DEPOSIT I GAVE MY ACCOUNT NUMBER AND ROUTING NUMBER BUT ALSO I PUT MY CHECK NUMBER ON THERE TO MY MISTAKE IT ALL WENT TOGETHER AS MY ACCOUNT NUMBER SO IT WAS KICKED OUT AND SENT BACK WHAT CAN I DO NOW
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2012
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 5 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good evening. This is not an uncommon occurrence. Pursuant to the IRS guidelines, if you incorrectly enter an account or routing number and your designated financial institution rejects and returns the deposit to the IRS, the IRS will issue a paper check for that portion of your refund. Generally once the financial institution recovers the funds and returns them to the IRS, the IRS will send a paper check for that refund out to the taxpayer's last known address on file with the IRS. After two weeks have passed with no results, file Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information seems more general than specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to provide information and not specific advice. If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break. If you need additional clarification on this question, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Relist: Other.
IS THERE ANY WAY THEY CAN RE DEPOSIT INTO MY ACCOUNT
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 5 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Hi

Thank you for using justanswer.Different expert here.

Unfortunately, the expert above is correct (please see below)

Refund Inquiries - Internal Revenue Service

I am however, a little surprised that you bank didn't recognize the error, since you had your complete account #, (it shouldn't have that hard to figure out that the last numbers were a check number.)

You can try calling the IRS at 800-829-1040, and if they haven't already sent out the check , you MIGHT be able to get them to send it through again, (however, this is a REALLY long shot) and then let your bank know what you did, and ask them if they could keep an eye out for it and go ahead and deposit it for you.

In all probability though, your refund will end up coming by mail.

I'm sincerely sorry that this happened. I know how frustrating this is. However, it sounds like this happened just a little while ago, while IRS was winding down from the tax year, and that may work in your favor, since they're nearly as swamped now and the would have been earlier in the tax year.

I know this is not the answer you want, but I hope it at least gives you some clarity on this subject.
Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer