Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I received a tax bill for personal taxes from the state of

Customer Question
Maryland for 1991. I...
I received a tax bill for personal taxes from the state of Maryland for 1991. I was not living in the state at that time; I left in 1989. I have unemployment records from the state I moved to, but I do not have my tax returns from 1991 for either state or federal.
Do I have to pay this tax debt that exceeds $3800 with penalty and interest.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2012
Tax Professional: Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP replied 5 years ago
Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP

TaxWhisperer :

This is horrible for MD to do this! I realize it may be hard to get a copy of your 1991 NY return, but you might be able to get some sort of "account record" from NY that shows you filed a resident return. Call NY DOR and ask them what they can prove or certify.

TaxWhisperer :

What a load of crap from the state of MD.

JACUSTOMER-fkkexm3u- :

I tried that, they stated that they do not have the records. Now what should I do? Is there a SOL for this type of thing?

Tax Professional: ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions. replied 5 years ago
ShawnA
ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.

Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.

Below is more detailed information on my suggestion.

mail=certified / return receipt.

I would do the following:

http://www.bcnys.org/inside/tax/2011/DTFexecdirec.pdf

Contact the COMMISSIONER's office. get a name. ask for your copies of your tax return from 1991. Explain what MD is doing. Include copies of you unemployment records.

Contact the MD tax COMMISSIONERs office

http://www.marylandtaxes.com/taxhelp/comptrollercontact.asp

explain what is going on. This should buy time. Send copies of what you sent to NYS.

If this does not answer your question please let me know. Also let me know if you have additional questions.

This is my full time job and I only get paid if you accept my answer. We work on the trust system at JA.

If you understand my answer and have no more questions, please accept and please leave positive feedback (if so inclined). Thank you.

ShawnA
ShawnA