Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I hve asthma and allergies to include sinus issues that has

required me to have a...
I hve asthma and allergies to include sinus issues that has required me to have a sinus surgery and bronchitis infections with headaches all related to what was my primary residence. It has carpeting and the ground stays wet as the basement has moister the whole year round. I was advised by allergist not to live in a carpeted house and to make my residence as allergy free as possible and recommendations on how to do that followed.

I got married in 04 and my health went down hill as my primary residence was my wife's home prior to the marriage.

She did not want to make the necessary changes like rip all the existing carpeting out.

I therefore used my GI Bill and bought a house that I occupy as my primary residence and have made the necessary allergy control modifications starting with the removal of all carpeing and old wall papering.

I would like to know if any of the mortgage I paid last year to include improvements for health reasons considered a medical expense? If so, what expenses regarding this transition would be considered under the medical expense category?
5/2/2012
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
You may deduct your mortgage interest and real estate taxes for your primary residence - no need to consider these as medical expenses.

Capital expenses related to your home might be considered as medical expenses for tax purposes - if they do not increase the value of your home.

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for special equipment installed in a home, or for improvements, if their main purpose is medical care for you, your spouse, or your dependent. The cost of permanent improvements that increase the value of your property may be partly included as a medical expense. The cost of the improvement is reduced by the increase in the value of your property. The difference is a medical expense. If the value of your property is not increased by the improvement, the entire cost is included as a medical expense.

Additional costs for personal motives, such as for architectural or aesthetic reasons, are not medical expenses.

To proof your medical expenses for deduction purposes - you need to have written doctor's recommendations for your own records.

See for reference - IRS publication 502 - www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

Let me know if you need any help.

I asked about the purchase of the second house being used as my primary residence being a medical tax deduction in itself as we are still married but I live in another house that is more suitable for a person with allergies and asthma. We therefore are paying two mortgages as she lives in her origional house and I live in the second house. My direct question is what about the purchase. It is stated in the closing document that the main purpose for this purchase is due to health reasons. The removal of the carpeting was not for astetic purposes but for health reasons as I am allergic to dust mite that mainly live in carpeting especially and therefore it had to go. This entire purchase is about my health. I saw the web site you recommended and I will look at it. But what can you tell me, ? How would you interpet the regulation? You are the expert, right?
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Hi

Thank you for using justanswer. If you're asking if you can deduct the entire purchase price of the home under medical, the answer is no. Even with your severe allergies, you could not get a doctor to state that you must purchase a separate home so that you can rip up all of the carpeting , put in a filtration system, etc since your wife doesn't want to make her existing home allergy free for you.

As stated above, you may write off the mortgage interest and the property taxes on your 2011 Form 1040 (Schedule A) Itemized Deductions.

You may however deduct the cost of having the carpet removed (I'm assuming you hired that to be done) plus the cost of any air filtration updates, etc as medical expenses, but keep in mind that these expenses must be greater than 7.5% of your AGI, which would also include your wife;s income, since I'm assuming you will file jointly

I hope this helps. .
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer