How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29798
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 34 year old son is in federal prison and his federal tax

This answer was rated:

My 34 year old son is in federal prison and his federal tax return came to my address. What would be the best way to handle this check? It's for a little over $900. The check is only good for one year and he won't get out for 3 years.


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

It would be the best - if you have a POA - Power of Attorney signed by your son - in this case - you would be able to deposit the check into your bank account.
If you do not have POA - you may contact your son - and ask for that.
If the check will expire - your son (or you with POA) may request another check from the IRS. The statute of limitation to claim a refund is three years - after that if not cashed - the money would be lost.


Would the prison give him a POA or do I get the form and send it to him?


You may use the general form - the issue is that his signature eon that form should be notarized. Most likely - there is a notary service in the prison - but you may contact the prison administration and verify.
Here are some forms you may use -

Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you