How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3475
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can my husband find out if his ex-wife amended their taxes

This answer was rated:

How can my husband find out if his ex-wife amended their taxes from a previous year? He thinks she did, but doesn't know who to go to, to find out.
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

The only way that he will be able to find out if any changes was made to the return is if he and she filed married filing jointly (MFJ). If they did file MFJ, he can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to inquire about the matter. He can also request a copy of the tax return transcript.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Tax.appeal.168 and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does this apply to both Federal & State taxes?
Yes. If they did not file MFJ, the IRS will not provide any information to him unless he has a Form 2848 POA on file or a Form 8821 Tax Information Authorization form on file. The same applies for the state, the relevant authorization forms will need to be on file if they did not file MFJ before they will release any information to him.