Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a widow and own my home. Should I have my deed in my name

Customer Question
payable on death to my...
I am a widow and own my home. Should I have my deed in my name payable on death to my four children or have it i n my name only in order to avoid Probate Court?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
5/1/2012
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

If the property will be in your name - it will be probated - and will be passed to beneficiaries according to your Will.

You may not mark it as POD - because that is not a bank account.

If you want to avoid probate - the property should be placed into the Trust (which you will create) or you may transfer the property to your heirs and retain the life estate provision.

LEV41030.7621718403
LEV :

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor