How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3722
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get a copy of a letter sent to me stating that I

Customer Question

How can I get a copy of a letter sent to me stating that I owe the US Treasury money for my 1040 in 2009? I have a balance of only $151, but I want to sonyest the amount that I was told I owe. My ID # XXXXX: XXX-XX-XXXX.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 5 years ago.
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040, or if you have an IRS notice, you can call the number on it and ask that they send you a copy of the notice indicating that you owe for 2009. If they do not honor your request to send out a copy of that notice, you can request a copy of your Tax Account Transcript for 2009. The transcript will show amounts paid and the balance of tax due for that year.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

Somehow your last response ended up in the law category, I'm not sure why. You wrote that they are not able to help you. If they can't help you with the letter, they should be able to send out transcripts to you. 1-800-829-1040. This number is the general customer service number for the IRS.