How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15723
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a home last year for 207,000 so I promptly went

Resolved Question:

I purchased a home last year for 207,000 so I promptly went to tax office to get that value for property tax . I.m over 65 and this is my homestead. They have sent a new appraisal notice of a 44,000. increase ($251,026). How can they get by with that large of increase?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

If you disagree with the appraisal district's value or any action of the appraisal district about your property, you may file a protest with the appraisal review board (ARB). In most cases, you have until May 31 or 30 days from the date the appraisal district notice is delivered - whichever date is later. You will need to act fast and get this filed.

Most appraisal district offices will meet with you informally to review your protest to try to solve problems.

Contact your tax office and advise them that you wish to protest the appraisal. They will then tell you if your county follows the informal procedure or if you will need to formally file the protest.


Robin D. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you